Monday, November 29, 2010

La Abuela Forever

Nora Luci Echave de Adamowski 12/10/1933 - 11/18/2010

There are so many good memories that i wouldn't know where to start... so i'll just go ahead and mention her legacy to us, and to me specifically. I have never known a person with a stronger will, persistence, conviction, with such a strong character but at the same time so humbled by life and her experiences to the point that she could humbly and persistently knock the door of every neighbour in full cities, hours and hours walking under the sun or in bitter cold, but when someone would open the door to her, no matter who that person was, my grandma would unvariably talk about her faith and her knowledge about having healthy diets and lifestyles, offering them to buy her literature and her self-made breaded soy milanesas.

It was she who inspired us at a really young age (maybe 10?) to start producing 'budines' of different flavors (similar to a cake with the shape of a loaf of bread) and start selling them in the neighborhood, and we will owe her, and to our parents, our lives for passing us that entrepreneurial spirit.

I remember how several times at a moment of injustice (maybe a policeman was asking for a bribe) or at a very long queue in a bank, she would start getting excited and talking loudly and suddenly pretend she was passing out so that we would pass that awkward moment with a certain person or she would skip the queue and get attended immediately :) or before I was born, after my grandfather had been living in Peru for several years away from her and my mom, she went to the Congress to talk to a Senator and somehow got a visa approval for my Polish grandfather to return to Argentina...

For different circumstances, mostly for being so young when they passed away, I was not able to record the history of my grandparents, to ask them about their life and listen to their life lessons. I regret that. But I will certainly pass along my life experiences and lessons to my grandchildren.

Cancer is a terribly aggressive disease, she fought it bravely, with immense optimism and acceptation that her time could be near, but not for that giving up one second of her life with motivation and fighting it to the very end. I will never forget how after a month of not eating anything and subsisting with only sporadic fruit juices, the same day she passed away but earlier in the morning she shouted to me in the phone with the last bits of strength she had 'te quiero muchoooooo'. It sounded dreadful, desperate, and I could see the immense effort she was making to pronounce those words, but I also got one last bit of her immense love she had for us. Yo tambien te quiero abuela. Nunca te voy a olvidar.

You were a firm believer in God and I hope, wherever you are, that you have reached that place you've so many times longed for and 'preached' about: Heaven. And that you have the peace and rewards that you well deserve and achieved on Earth.

Un beso gigante y siempre te voy a querer,

- Eric

1 comment:

Apfel said...

Entre a tu blog después de muchísimo tiempo, como veras. Deje lo de la abuela para el final, porque sabia que no podía ser nada bueno: estoy llorando. Simplemente la abuela era alguien realmente especial. No importaba quien este adelante, ella siempre trato a todos por igual. Eso lo aprendí de ella, y siempre lo admire.
Te lo dije en su momento... y te lo repito de nuevo: como te dijo "Te Quiero Mucho" al teléfono, me hizo entrar en llanto en un segundo. De emoción.
Lamentablemente yo no llegue a conocer tanto a mis otros abuelos. Era muy chico. Pero puedo asegurar algo: no importa que se pueda llegar a decir de mi abuela Nora... ella era una de esas personas que no se olvidan, que vivió a lo grande.
Un gran abrazo.